Trinity Episcopal Church - Bethlehem, PA

  • Home
  • Building Restoration
  • About Us
    • Our Story >
      • Our History >
        • 1869 - 1900
        • 1900 - 1999
        • 1999 - Present
    • Clergy & Staff
    • Vestry
    • Gallery
  • Worship
    • Service Schedule
    • Sunday Bulletin
    • Resources
  • Ministries
    • Altar Guild
    • Music
    • Outreach
    • Worship Committee
    • Pastoral Care
  • News & Events
    • Tidings Newsletter
    • In the News
    • Upcoming Events
  • Giving
    • Capital Campaign
    • How to Give
    • Stewardship
  • REALM
  • Contact Us
    • Directions & Parking
  • Home
  • Building Restoration
  • About Us
    • Our Story >
      • Our History >
        • 1869 - 1900
        • 1900 - 1999
        • 1999 - Present
    • Clergy & Staff
    • Vestry
    • Gallery
  • Worship
    • Service Schedule
    • Sunday Bulletin
    • Resources
  • Ministries
    • Altar Guild
    • Music
    • Outreach
    • Worship Committee
    • Pastoral Care
  • News & Events
    • Tidings Newsletter
    • In the News
    • Upcoming Events
  • Giving
    • Capital Campaign
    • How to Give
    • Stewardship
  • REALM
  • Contact Us
    • Directions & Parking

Our History - 1869 to 1900

​1869 - Four years after the consecration of the Cathedral Church of the Nativity, the first Episcopal Church in Bethlehem, religious leaders realize the need for a second church on the expanding “North Side” of the Lehigh River.  In response to that need, Nativity Rector Robert J. Nevin establishes a Sunday School in the Neisser School building at Wall and School Streets. In the latter part of 1869, the Rev. John Irving Forbes, now the rector of the Cathedral Church of the Nativity, begins Sunday evening services in the YMCA Hall on Main Street, directly across the street from the present location of the Hotel Bethlehem. Forbes is considered the “founder” of Trinity.
 
1870 to 1872 - Within a short period of time, plans are underway for a new church, one to be built on land donated by Nativity Vestryman Francis Weiss and located on Market Street.  Upon Forbes’ sudden death in June 1871, the Rev. Cortlandt Whitehead becomes rector of Nativity.  On August 28, 1871, Whitehead lays the cornerstone for Trinity (the name selected by Forbes). Addressees were made by the Rt. Rev. Edmund de Schweinitz, Bishop of the Moravian Church, and several other clergy.
 
The following articles are deposited in the cornerstone: a copy of the Bible, The Book of Common Prayer, copies of the Churchman, the Episcopal Register, the Parish Register, the South Bethlehem Daily Progress, the service used in laying the stone, the Journal of the Protestant Episcopal Convention of Pennsylvania, 1870, La Liberta, a liberal Roman newspaper, the Constitution and Cannons of the Protestant Episcopal Church in the Diocese of Pennsylvania, a list of officers of the Church of the Nativity, the names of contributors, the architect, builders, workmen, etc., silver coins of the United States for 1871, and Circulars of Lehigh University and Bishopthorpe School. The architect is Charles M. Burns of Philadelphia and the contractor is Abram Yost. The new church, built for $4000 and furnished for $2000, is completed by Christmas, the day on which the Sunday School presents its first Christmas pageant. The altar and the original chancel windows bear the inscription, “John Irving Forbes – Priest and Founder.” The three windows were rearranged and are now four lancets on the east wall of the Church.
 
1872 - On January 16, The Rt. Rev. Mark Anthony De Wolfe Howe, the newly-consecrated Bishop of the new diocese of Central Pennsylvania, consecrates Trinity and proclaims the building to be “a model of durability, convenience, cheapness and taste.”  Constructed of stone and brick, the church duplicates the floor plan of the Cathedral, thus showing the connection between the two churches. On May 24, the first organ is installed and dedicated. Although the Nativity Vestry had resolved to separate the two parishes, formal separation does not occur until November 22, the day on which Cortland Whitehead resigns as rector of Trinity in order to devote his energy to his rector’s position at the Cathedral. Even though the two churches are now separate entities, several members of the Nativity Vestry continue to serve both churches.
 
1873 - On January 25, Trinity becomes incorporated in Northampton County. The Rev. Charles Morrison from New Orleans is called as rector.  Morrison, the first resident rector, begins his duties in July and remains for three years. At that time there were 52 communicants, 110 in the Sunday school, and the total of the annual offerings was about $4,300. Morrison resigns in 1875 because of a “bronchial infection.” He is remembered as a man with a “genial personality,” but he leaves behind no public record of accomplishments for the parish.
 
1874 to 1879 - The Rev. J. K. Mendenhall succeeds Morrison.  His stay, however, is quite brief.  What follows his departure is an unexplained succession of three short term rectors and several temporary supply clergy. Financial hardship hits the church, and the parish petitions to come back under the leadership of Whitehead and the Nativity Vestry. The Church of the Nativity, which has prospered and requires a full-time rector, declines the Trinity petition. The Rev. Joseph M. Turner accepts the call to become Trinity’s rector in 1876. His stay is brief, and in 1877 resigns to become headmaster of the Diocesan School for Boys in Reading, Pennsylvania. He is succeeded by The Rev. Henry C. Mayer, who was the son-in-law of Bishop Stevens of the Diocese of Pennsylvania. He serves until 1879. Interestingly, Bishop Mark Antony De Wolfe Howe now steps into the picture.
 
1880 to 1900 - The Rev. George Pomeroy Allen, Bishop Howe’s son-in-law, becomes Trinity’s rector and leads a growing and revitalized parish.  Under his guidance, indebtedness is eliminated. On April 1, 1890, the church is consecrated. At this point, the parish begins its long history of social action and outreach. Many members of Trinity have deep interest in social service projects. At one time the Presidents of all service boards are members of the parish, including the Council of Social Service, the Family Welfare, Red Cross, Ladies Aid of St. Luke’s Hospital, Child Guidance Clinic, and Children’s Aid Society. During the 1881 smallpox epidemic, the church furnishes relief for the sick and destitute. Trinity parishioner Captain James Wiley establishes Wiley House (known today as “KidsPeace”) as a home for children orphaned by the epidemic. 
 
In 1892, the Dodson family bestows a financial gift upon the church, which purchases the property immediately east of the church and turns the home into a parish house that is connected to the church by a covered walkway. From 1890 to 1897, Trinity operates a parochial school with five teachers and fifty students. In 1892 the parish comes into possession of a rectory located two blocks east of the church on Market Street. This rectory was occupied by Trinity rectors until 1969. In 1897, the Rev. Allen baptizes Stephen Vincent Benet, the renown American author. Later, Allen rearranges the three lancet windows over the altar. The windows which memorialized Rector Forbes now become the four lancet windows on the east wall of the church. He then has a new, larger stained-glass window installed over the altar.  In 1900, the Rev. Allen accepts a call to serve a parish in Philadelphia and resigns. He leaves behind a church with 381 members, 201 of which are Sunday School students.
Trinity Episcopal Church
44 East Market Street
Bethlehem, PA 18018
610-867-4741
[email protected]

Worship Service
Held @ Christ UCC
75 East Market Street
 Sunday 8:30 am



Picture